AIS has three Kindergartens – Thu Thiem, Thao Dien (Lotus) and Xi. Each campus is resourced to the same high standard. At Xi, children can commence in the programme once they are 18 months, while at Thu Thiem and Thao Dien, children must be two years old to enrol.
Each Kindergarten has three levels which are based on date of birth:
- Infants – 18 months – 3 years old
- Junior Kindergarten – 3-4 years old
- Senior Kindergarten 4-5 years old
From the age of three years old (Junior Kindergarten), children follow the International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme (PYP). Please download the Primary School curriculum booklet below for more details.
The guiding principle in Kindergarten is learning through play. In this way, in a secure but challenging environment, children can:
- Explore, develop and represent learning experiences that help them to make sense of the world
- Practise and build up ideas, concepts and skills
- Learn to understand the need for rules
- Take risks and make mistakes
- Think creatively and imaginatively
- Communicate with others as they investigate or solve problems
Activities may be either teacher directed or student initiated.
Each class has an overseas trained teacher and a Vietnamese trained support teacher. There are also specialist teachers for swimming, physical education, music and Vietnamese Language and Culture.
When enrolling children in Kindergarten, parents have many options for enrolment, no matter which campus they chose. These options include half day, full day or extended day programmes as well as part week or full week programmes.